Saturday, June 17, 2006

Sweden 1, Paraguay 0

Wowza! What a finish!

Let me tell you a little story about this game. In about the 85th minute, I was complaining to Snake that players often head long crosses from terrible angles rather than across the goal mouth, which is all in all the more dangerous ball. Also around this time, I was exhorting Swedish striker Marcus Allbach, who replaced struggling star Zlatan Ibrahimovic at halftime, to do something with just one of the many chances he was getting in the six-yard box.

Not 5 minutes later, a frantic Sweden acted on my prescient thoughts. Allow me at this point to quote from ESPN Soccernet's post-game report:

Finally, salvation arrived with two minutes left for the Swedes, thanks greatly to substitute Johan Elmander who delivered a peach of a cross to Allback at the far post.

He chose wisely to head back across the six-yard box rather than go for goal himself and there was Ljungberg arriving in the nick of time to direct a header into the net.
I couldn't have put it better myself.

Goal scorers:

Fredrik 'Freddy' Ljungberg (89'), Sweden (1-0)

1 comment:

Jake said...

Just like when I was bashing Crouchie before his goal. The power of the Balls on Fire blog is so great that we don't even need to post our thoughts anymore. All we have to do is think them and people bend to our will.